A rice krispie treat inspired by everyone's favorite girl scout samoa cookie. Not only do you get the chewiness of the marshmallow treat, but the caramel goodness of the coconut filling. These ultimate rice krispie treats are a sure delight.
The Story Behind the Creation of Samoa Rice Krispies
Samoa Rice Krispie treats, say what?! Two of the most addicting treats merged into one? You betcha! I’m a sucker for all of those Girl Scouts selling those delicious cookies every year. Samoa and Thin Mint are the only ones we ever purchase.
I’m also a sucker for rice krispie treats of all kinds. If you don’t believe me just check out my Churro Rice Krispies recipe and my Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispies. I’m also not above eating store bought rice krispie treats that are wrapped so lovingly in those blue, shiny, foil wrappers.
A couple weekends ago, my husband and I were walking through the bookstore of our Alma Mater, BYU. We had no kids, so we really got to enjoy our time there. While my husband, in typical Tim fashion, slowly grazed the book aisles, I, in typical Mary Susan fashion, made my way to the candy counter. Well, back in my day it was called the candy counter, now it is “The Sweet Shop” and has a much larger collection of sweet treats.
I was immediately intrigued by the large Rice Krispie treats that are made and packaged at BYU. Upon further inspection, I realized that there were so many different flavors to choose from. The flavors went from Oreo, to Banana Pudding, to Key Lime Pie, and everything else in between.
It had never dawned on me that I could make so many different flavors out of one of my favorite treats. I immediately knew I wanted to create my own flavor combo, so I did!
I settled on creating a Samoa Girl Scout inspired krispie. I knew it needed that toasted coconut caramel and I wanted it stuffed in the middle, not on top! And then it of course needed a little bit of chocolate and some extra toasted coconut on top to look beautiful.
My husband who is a cookie snob, and also doesn’t love Rice Krispie treats like I do, took one bite and fell in complete love. The Samoa flavor is 100% there and then you get the chewiness from all of that marshamallowy goodness. You seriously cannot go wrong here!
Samoa Rice Krispie Treats
- 5 cups mini marshmallows
- 3 TBS butter
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 14 oz sweetened shredded coconut (1 bag)
- 2 TBS milk
- 1 can dulce de leche
- 6 oz semisweet chocolate melted
- In a large saute pan, pour the entire bag of shredded coconut and cook over medium-high heat. Constantly stir and flip the coconut until a majority of it is golden brown. It will smell like hot buttered popcorn! Don’t leave its side because it can quickly go from toasted to burnt. When a majority of it is toasted, remove from heat and continue to stir for another two minutes. It will continue to cook as the pan is still hot.
- Once the coconut is toasted, measure 4 cups of it into a mixing bowl. Heat the dulce de leche in a microwave safe bowl with the the 2 TBS of milk for about 1 1/2 minutes. This will thin out the dulce de leche to insure easier mixing.
- Then mix together the dulce de leche mixture with the 4 cups of toasted coconut and set aside.
- In a large microwavable bowl, melt together the marshmallows and butter. In my microwave it takes about 2 minutes. Pour in the cereal and mix well.
- In a greased 8X12 (or 7×11) pan, place half of the cereal mixture and pat down. Then spread in the layer of caramel coconut. Place remaining cereal mixture on top and press down. I find that spraying my hands with cooking spray prevents the cereal from sticking.
- Next melt your 6 oz. of semisweet chocolate and spread on top. While it is melted, garnish with remaining toasted coconut. Wait until the chocolate hardens and then serve.