The Best Pecan Pie
This old fashioned pecan pie is hands down the best pecan pie you'll ever had. This recipe is handed down to me from my grandmother and easy enough for any one to make.
The Story Behind the Recipe
The family I grew up in doesn’t have a lot of showy traditions. The family I married into has a TON of traditions, some of which are super unique. For example, going to Burger King on Martin Luther King Jr. Day is one of their favorites. It’s a little silly, but the kids love the one time a year we hit up that fast food joint. My family’s tradition usually cater around food, especially around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not to boast, but I think I’ve done a great job at fusing two family’s traditions and even adding a few of our own!
Since before I can remember, my mom has always hosted Thanksgiving dinner. She would start cooking really early in the morning, and we would usually eat around 2pm. Get stuffed. Then around 7pm we’d pull out all of the leftovers and go for round two.
For someone who doesn’t love pie that much, I distinctly remember the pie table. Doesn’t everyone have a pie table at Thanksgiving? I remember there being a bunch of different pies; chocolate silk pie, pumpkin pie, and my favorite – pecan pie. I’m sure there were other pies there as well, but I could never cheat on my grandmother’s pecan pie. When I say it’s the best pecan pie, I mean it.
It’s the best pecan pie because everyone always fought over it. It’s the only pie that I remember there every being multiples of. Seriously, it’s that good. The flakey crust with the sweet filling and crunchy pecans – yes please!
When one of my nieces was born, the best pecan pie had to go to rest for a while because we found out she was severely allergic to nuts. That’s okay because instead, my grandmother would make a brown sugar pie. It’s pretty much a pecan pie without the pecans. Super sweet, but a pretty good replacement, especially if you ask my niece.
F.A.Q.s and Troubleshooting for The Best Pecan Pie
Additional Recipes Similar to The Best Pecan Pie
If you love this recipe, that you will also love these other recipes of mine that remind me of pie.
The Best Pecan Pie
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 325°.
- Prepare your pie crust in your pie pan and leave in the fridge until you are ready to add the filling.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat your eggs and sugar together.
- Add in the corn syrup, salt, and vanilla and mix.
- Dump in the chopped pecans. You can leave them halved or chop them a little bit smaller. Smaller pieces make it easier to cut, but doesn't look at beautiful as pecan halves.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes until the center is set.
- Completely cool at room temperature and then move to the fridge before serving.