Orange Poppyseed Muffins
If you’re looking for a sweet and tangy breakfast treat, look no further than this recipe for orange poppyseed muffins! Not only are they easy to make and perfect for breakfast, but they are a great make-ahead recipe as well.
But what really sets orange poppyseed muffins apart is the flavor. The combination of tart citrus and nutty poppyseeds creates a deliciously complex taste that’s hard to beat. They’re the perfect choice for brunch or any morning when you want something a little special.
I whipped up a batch of these orange poppyseed muffins for my kids to have a healthier after school snack. They typically walk in from school and raid the kitchen cabinets for all the snacks. Kids eat so much!
The kids were so happy to see these orange poppyseed muffins on the counter when they walked in. They gobbled them up. However, my one daughter really wanted to share them with her little Japanese friend who we take home. So we packed some up for them. The dad was so excited and exclaimed, “Wow! Muffins from a real American mom.” They raved about them.
I love that this is quick and easy and uses orange juice from fresh oranges. Can’t go wrong with that. If you are wanting to add a little something extra, give them an orange glaze on top.
Ingredients Needed for Orange Poppyseed Muffins
- Vegetable Oil- you can use vegetable, canola, or coconut oil in this recipe.
- Eggs- I always use large eggs. Please make sure they are at room temperature.
- Sugar- this recipe does call for white granulated sugar.
- Buttermilk- if you don’t have buttermilk on hand you can try a quick buttermilk substitute or use whole milk.
- Orange Juice- don’t use bottled orange juice, just squeeze an orange you already have to get fresh juice.
- Orange Zest- don’t leave out the zest, it adds so much flavor.
- Flour- In this cake you will use classic all-purpose flour.
- Baking Powder – make sure your baking powder is not old.
- Baking Soda- make sure your baking soda is also fresh.
Tools Needed for Orange Poppyseed Muffins
Cupcake/Muffin Pan- this is my go-to cupcake pan.
I love this juicer for juicing larger fruits such as oranges.
If you are making the glaze for the top of the muffins, you will most definitely want to sift your powdered sugar. This is hands down my favorite sifter.
Additional Muffin Recipes You’ll Love
- Cinnamon Crumb Muffins
- Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Banana Nutella Muffins
- Pistachio Streusel Muffins
- Raisin Bran Muffins
Orange Poppyseed Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 tbsp poppyseeds
- 3 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking salt
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- zest of 3 oranges
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
For the Orange Glaze
- 1⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 425° and prepare a muffin pan by greasing it or lining it with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, pour in all of your dry ingredients. Whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and poppyseeds until it looks light and fluffy.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix until just combined.
- If you want domed muffin tops, fill your muffin cups completely full. Trust me on this.
- Bake the muffins for 7 minutes and then turn the oven temperature down to 350° and bake another 10-12 minutes or until the tops are not doughy.
- Remove the muffins from the pan almost immediately so the bottoms down get soggy.
- Make the glaze by whisking together the sifted powdered sugar and freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Drizzle desired amount of glaze on each muffin.