These Dark Chocolate Cranberry Breakfast Cookies are a healthy and are delicious enough to start your morning or to have as an afternoon snack. Not only are they chocked full with healthy ingredients but also flavor.
Story Behind Dark Chocolate Cranberry Breakfast Cookies
My kids are always asking me what is for breakfast. I always reply with, “it’s the same stuff we have every morning.” They were so excited when they came home one afternoon from school and I let them eat cookies for a snack. Little did they know, these dark chocolate cranberry cookies were actually healthy and good for them. When I announced, they could eat these for breakfast, they were so excited to have something new added to the repertoire.
I love a good oatmeal cookie. Like love a good oatmeal cookie. Once you add in dark chocolate and dried cranberries, I’m sold! When I started making these, I was afraid the bananas I was putting in the dough would make them taste too banana-y, but they didn’t. In fact, my kids and I can’t even tell that there are bananas in the recipe.
This is such a quick and easy recipe to make and have on hand. You can easily freeze these individually and pull them out the night before you want them for breakfast or thirty minutes before wanting them for a snack.
You know it’s a good recipe when there is no added sugar, just honey, and then the kids gobble them up. So go ahead and make some of these yummy Dark Chocolate Cranberry Breakfast Cookies. Your mouth and kids will thank you.
Ingredients Needed for Dark Chocolate Cranberry Breakfast Cookies
- Quick Oats- I prefer to use quick oats in this recipe over Old Fashioned. The texture is better in my opinion.
- Peanut Butter- You can use your favorite peanut butter in this recipe whether that is all-natural or regular. You can also substitute for other favorite nut butters.
- Honey- The only sweetener this recipe calls for is honey.
- Bananas- This is a great recipe to use up any brown bananas you have on your counter.
- Applesauce- Instead of using any oils, this recipe just uses applesauce.
- Cinnamon – I love the taste of cinnamon with oatmeal.
- Dried Cranberries- I believe in name brand for some items and dried cranberries are one of them.
- Dark Chocolate Chips – You can use chips or chunks, whichever you prefer.
Tools Needed for Dark Chocolate Cranberry Breakfast Cookies
I love using this large cookie scoop to scoop this dough out in even portions.
I love cookies bake on these textured cookie sheets.
I love a good sturdy silicone spatula for mixing and scraping bowls.
Additional Recipes You’ll Love
- Brownie Baked Oatmeal
- Healthy Baked Berry Oatmeal
- Mom’s Old Fashioned Oatmeal Cake
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Dark Chocolate Cranberry Breakfast Cookies
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup peanut butter
- ¼ cup honey
- ⅓ cup applesauce
- 1 mashed banana
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ¾ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325℉.
- In a large mixing bowl and with a hand mixer, mix the banana until smooth. Add in the oats, peanut butter, honey, and applesauce.
- Next add in the salt and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Finally add in your mix-ins. I prefer dried cranberries and dark chocolate chips. You could also add in nuts, raisins, or different flavor of chocolate chips with great success.
- On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, scoop and flatten the cookie dough into the shapes you would like. This dough will not spread, so if you leave it in a dough ball, it will cook to be the shape of a dough ball.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until they no longer look wet and gooey.
- After cooling on the pan for 10 minutes, serve, save, or freeze for later.