My husband and I gave up going out to eat on Valentine’s Day a few years back. The restaurants are over-crowded, the wait is long, and I’m away from the rest of my little loves back at home!
So I had this crazy idea last year to create a cake that epitomizes Valentine’s Day that we could enjoy at home. After some thinking, I thought, “What doesn’t say Happy Valentine’s more than chocolate-covered strawberries?” So, I set out to make a cake that tastes just like that.
I sold nine cakes last year which I thought was a lot. This year, I took 16 orders and literally just sat down from finishing those all up.
For the last couple of days, though, I have been taste testing way too much. Is that even possible? I’ve been making the perfect bite with leftover cake pieces, frosting, and ganache. I’m dying even thinking about it.
Every time I take that perfect bite, I’m in awe at how amazing my strawberry buttercream tastes. It’s to die for. I kept surprising myself every time I tasted it. I kept wanting to shout, “Man, I’m good.” The chocolate cake and ganache are delicious, but this buttercream takes the cake over the top.
So for Valentine’s Day, I want to share this sinfully delicious strawberry buttercream with you. That way, even if you didn’t order a cake from me, you can still enjoy part of it!
Sinful Strawberry Buttercream
- 2 sticks salted butter softened
- ¾ cup strawberry jam use one made with real strawberries. I prefer Costco brand.
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ tsp strawberry extract only if jam is not made with real berries in it
- ¼ cup whole milk only if frosting is thick and add only 1 TBS at a time
- 4 drops pink food coloring optional
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, whip butter until smooth.
- Add jam and half of the powdered sugar. Mix until combined.
- Add remaining powdered sugar, extract, food coloring, and milk(if needed). Mix on high for 2 minutes until combined. Scrap down sides of bowl and mix again until all butter and sugar is incorporated.
- Slather on a cake, or spoon, or finger and eat!