Chocolate Strawberry Sugar Cookies
The easiest chocolate sugar cookies that actually hold their shape. These cookies are delightful dressed up with strawberry buttercream or eaten plain.
The Story Behind Chocolate Strawberry Sugar Cookies
The recipe for these chocolate strawberry sugar cookies was created for a segment for Good Things Utah. I’m super excited about it. It’s really fun and I always enjoy the mornings I’m there. The only thing that stresses me out is deciding which recipe to make! The first time I went on, I had about a month to prepare.I spent a lot of time and effort into making these Iced Blueberry Biscuits. If you haven’t tried them, you should, because they are amazing. Then about 1 week before my segment, I saw where someone else did a baking segment on biscuits! I was totally crushed, but convinced myself that these were different and went ahead and made them. I’m so glad I did!
My second appearance was right before Easter, and I only had 5 days to prepare myself. I knew that this Croissant Pudding was the perfect thing to share. It was so unique that I knew no one would be baking that live on air before I could. I was right and man was it a hit!
So here I am making a third appearance and had an idea for strawberry eclairs with a crunch topping. I was completely set on making these because it was a flavor combo I had completely imagined up myself. Then I went to see who had appeared on TV that day, and they had done cream puffs with pastry cream. I was so bummed! I knew I had to create something else, so that is where these chocolate sugar cookies topped with strawberry buttercream came in. Too bad someone just did beautifully decorated sugar cookies for Mother’s Day. That’s okay. I’m feeling confident about these chocolate cookies.
These chocolate sugar cookies are brownie like in taste, and sugar cookie like in texture. They are rich, delightful, and even hold their shape really well. So if you are looking to use this for cut-out cookies, go ahead and do it! These will NOT flatten out and get blobby on you.
I decided I wanted to top these with strawberry buttercream because chocolate and strawberry are just meant to be together. Of course, these are delicious plain or with your other favorite frosting.
Chocolate Strawberry Sugar Cookies
- 4 sticks butter softened
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 4 cups flour
- 1 ½ cups cocoa powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 sticks butter softened
- ¾ cup strawberry jam
- 5-6 cups powdered sugar
- 1-2 TBS of whipping cream
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, combine butter and sugar and mix until light and fluffy.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in the vanilla and eggs. Mix together for 2 minutes.
- Add in flour, cocoa powder, and salt. Mix until it comes together and pulls away from the sides of the bowl and forms a ball- about 1 minute.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes at 350. Cookies should not look or feel fudgey when fully baked. Be careful not to over bake.
- Cool on the cookie sheet for at least 10 minutes.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, whip butter until smooth.
- Add 2 cups of powdered sugar and mix until it all comes together.
- Add remaining powdered sugar and jam. Mix on low until it comes together. If it is stiff in texture add 1 TBS cream.
- Mix on high for about 5 minutes.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add in your food coloring if desired and mix again until all the color is equally distributed.
- Once all of the cookies are cooled completely, pipe the buttercream onto the cookies in your desired pattern.
Can you please tell me where to buy the edible glitter?
I found mine at Wal-Mart. It can probably be found at Michael’s as well. Wilton brand.