These chewy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are a family favorite. They come together quickly and make a perfect weeknight dessert.
The Story Behind My Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you have been here a while, you may remember that my mom and I used to hate making cookies. They always took so long to scoop and bake. As a teenager, I always seemed to lose interest in finishing all the dough and would leave it for my mom to do.
However, when we did make cookies, these oatmeal chocolate chip cookies were always at the top of the list. In fact, whenever my mom comes to visit, she will usually whip up a batch of these cookies with a grandchild or two.
This past Sunday, my daughter woke up begging to make oatmeal cookies. She and her brother must have been talking to each other because he kept asking about making chocolate oatmeal cookies as well.
Our Sunday afternoon zoomed by, and we still hadn’t made the cookies. As soon as the dinner time chores were over, I whipped out my mixer and the ingredients and got my daughter to work. My son joined in and we had the dough made and ready to bake in less than 5 minutes. They were both surprised at how quickly we did it.
After they came out of the oven, we enjoyed them warm with a cup of milk. We finished the night off with family card games, so I call it a win. You seriously can’t go wrong in the fun mom department when you have cookies and games in the same night.
F.A.Q.S for Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
Other Cookie Recipes You May Love
Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2½ cups old-fashioned oats
- 1½ cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine butter, brown sugar, and sugar together until light and fluffy. This should take about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the eggs and vanilla. Mix until well combined and scrape down sides of bowl as needed.
- Add in salt, baking soda, baking powder, and flour. Mix until combined.
- Pour in the oatmeal and mix again.
- With a wooden spoon, stir in the chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop the dough onto the cookie trays. I fit 5 on a large cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, or until they are a light golden color on top and edges.
- Cool on the cookie sheet for at least 10 minutes before transferring to a cooking rack.