Chicken Tortilla Soup
A big bowl of this easy chicken tortilla soup is sure to warm you up. Don’t forget to load up on all of the delicious toppings.
The Story Behind Chicken Tortilla Soup
Do you ever have a picture speak to you? I have pictures speak to me all the time. However, a majority of the pictures are usually of food, but you know what, it’s still talking to me.
I saw a picture of this chicken tortilla soup on saltandlavender and immediately put it on my menu for the week. In fact, I even picked up the ingredients at the store that day.
Honestly, I must have been inspired to make it because as soon as it was finished, I found out one of my neighbors was sick. She didn’t have much of an appetite or desire to cook, so I offered up some soup. She gladly accepted.
I received a text the next morning saying it was absolutely delicious. She proceeded to say her husband had already talked about it three times that morning wishing he had more.
I’m not one to brag, but she was right! This soup is so comforting and delicious. Even though I started with the recipe from saltandlavendar, I had to make quite a few adjustments to have it suit my family. My kids are super picky, and I knew if they took one look at it they’d complain.
Instead of leaving the soup chunky, I blended different parts to create a creamy, smooth texture. Not only did I blend it, but I also had to tone down the spiciness. It was so incredibly spicy! I decided to use sour cream and it only enhanced that creamy texture I was going for.
The best part of this soup is loading up on all of the yummy toppings. My husband and kids were all fans, so I’d call this soup recipe a crowd pleaser.
F.A.Q.S for Chicken Tortilla Soup
Other Recipes You May Enjoy
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 diced red pepper
- 2 cans MILD rotel
- 1 8oz block cream cheese
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 can fire roasted corn drained
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 cups shredded chicken cooked
- Toppings: cilantro, avocado, shredded cheese, tortilla strips, and fresh lime.
- Dice your onion and red pepper and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat your olive oil. Cook the onions until almost done. Add in the red peppers and cook until soft.
- Place the onions, red peppers, two cans of rotel, and the block of cream cheese in a high powered blender. Blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Return the blended mixture back in your pot and add the drained beans, corn, chicken broth and seasonings.
- Add in the shredded chicken and sour cream. Cook until it starts to simmer.
- Serve with fresh squeezed lime juice, cilantro, tortilla strips, and avocado on top.
- Store leftovers in the fridge.
This was delicious and so simple to make! It was a winner for all my kids, so I’ll be adding this to our meal calendar at least a few times a month!! Thank you for a great recipe!
So glad your whole family enjoyed it.