The best chocolate chocolate chip banana muffins are soft, moist, and oh so delicious. The batter is full of chocolate flavor, chocolate chips, greek yogurt, and ripe bananas.
The Story Behind The Best Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
I’m a sucker for banana bread. I do pretty good rationing myself when it comes to sweets, desserts, and homemade breads. However, when there is banana bread in the house you will most definitely find me sneak slice after slice. Sometimes I’ll even cut the slices in smaller pieces and keep coming back for more. I’ll eat banana bread with nuts, chocolate chips, or plain. Have you ever had banana bread with craisins or toffee chips? I have and believe me when I tell you I kept going back for more.
But did you know that I am also a sucker for muffins? They are almost as tempting to me as banana bread, but if you combine the banana bread with a muffin then I’m one happy girl.
I’ve been making the best chocolate chocolate chip banana muffins every week now for over a month. The kids can’t get enough of them! In fact, my daughter has a little Japanese friend who comes over and she loves these and kept asking for more. I just hope she doesn’t go home and tell her mom that I let them eat chocolate cake for a snack. In deed, they are delicious enough to taste like a treat for sure.
If you don’t have ripe bananas on hand, go buy some! Don’t let your kids or other family members eat them, though, because you are definitely going to enjoy these muffins more and declare them the best chocolate chocolate chip banana muffins ever.
Ingredients Needed for the Best Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Bananas– You need really ripe bananas to get the best flavor. Ripe bananas also add a natural sweetness to the muffins.
- Flour – You will need all-purpose flour for this recipe.
- Cocoa Powder – I just use regular unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Plain Greek Yogurt – This recipe calls for plain unsweetened greek yogurt.
- Vegetable Oil – While the recipe calls for vegetable oil, you can also substitute canola oil.
- Salt and Baking Soda
- Eggs – I always use large eggs.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – You could also use dark or milk chocolate chips if you prefer that.
Tools Needed for the Best Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
I love using this 12-cup muffin tin.
I also find this large cookie scoop to be perfect for scooping muffin dough.
I don’t always use muffin liners when making muffins, but when I do use them these are a great option.
Additional Recipes You Will Love
- Orange Poppyseed Muffins
- Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Banana Nutella Muffins
- Toffee Banana Bread
- Banana Bread with Yogurt
The Best Chocolate Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins
- 4 ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Prepare your 12-cup muffin tin by greasing it or lining it with muffin liners. Set it aside until your batter is ready.
- Preheat the oven to 350℉.
- In a large mixing bowl, smash your 4 bananas until liquidy and no large chunks remain. You can also use a hand mixer to make this step quicker.
- Add in the sugar, greek yogurt, vanilla and oil. Mix well.
- Next add in all of the dry ingredients including the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Once that is well combined and there are no dry spots of flour or cocoa powder, stir in the chocolate chips until well distributed.
- Scoop batter into the muffin tin until it is about ¾ full.
- Bake for 15-17 minutes or until the tops of the muffins bounce back when touched.
- Remove the muffins from the pan within 5 minutes and let cool on a cooling rack. Store any leftover in the fridge for 3-5 days.
Disclaimer: I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for me to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.