Ring in the holidays with these dark chocolate peppermint rice krispie treats. They are easy to make and will give you all the holiday flavor that you will ever need.
The Story Behind Dark Chocolate Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
You know how the day after Halloween where all of the candy is 50% off and it’s magically Christmas overnight? Well, I do and I love it! I’m not the biggest Halloween fan, so it’s always a joy to me to see the Christmas decor going up at my favorite shopping spot, Target.
On November 1st, I was perusing the Target holiday section and noticed that the workers were slowly getting out the Christmas baking supplies and stocking the shelves. To my surprise, I was able to snag a few bags of the elusive Andes Peppermint Crunch Pieces. If you are a serious baker, you know how hard it is to find these during the holiday season. Whenever I see them, I always make sure to grab a bag or two.
I was also lucky enough to grab some other holiday baking essentials. Some of them not as exciting as the others, but necessary nonetheless. I grabbed a few of these paper mini loaf pans. I thought they would be darling to bake up a few of my quick breads, such as this Cranberry Orange Bread, and deliver to neighbors.
While I was at Target, I also grabbed Cinnamon Imperials for gingerbread house making later in the season and these Peppermint Marshmallows. I’ll tell you what! These marshmallows were talking to me. I absolutely love Rice Krispie treats, and I immediately knew I needed to create a fun Christmas Krispie.
As many of you already know, chocolate and peppermint are a match made in heaven. So I set out to make Dark Chocolate Peppermint Krispie, and that’s exactly what I did. They are quick, easy, and perfect for the entertaining or as an accompaniment to a cup of hot cocoa. Enjoy!
F.A.Q.s and Troubleshooting for Dark Chocolate Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
If you love Rice Krispie Treats like I do, then you are going to absolutely love these other rice krispie recipes of mine.
Dark Chocolate Peppermint Rice Krispie Treats
- 8 oz bag of peppermint marshmallows
- 4 tbsp butter
- 5 cups rice cereal
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ¼ cup Andes Peppermint Crunch Chips
- In a large microwavable bowl, melt the marshmallows and butter. This should take about 1½-2 minutes.
- Add in the rice cereal and stir until everything is mixed together and there is no dry cereal left.
- Press into a greased 8×8 pan. I like to spray my hands with cooking spray to prevent the cereal from sticking to my hands.
- Melt the 1 cup of dark chocolate chips and spread evenly over the top of the krispies. Sprinkle with the peppermint crunch chips.
- Stick in the refrigerator for the chocolate to harden up and then serve.