Crustless Caprese Quiche
This crustless caprese quiche is a great breakfast. Not only is it keto friendly and gluten free, but it will be delicious no matter the diet.
The Story Behind the Crustless Caprese Quiche
A few years back my group of girl friends from Stanford would get together quite often. All but one of us was living in Utah at the time, so getting together for a delicious breakfast was something we loved doing.
Sometimes we would go out to eat for brunch. We frequented Five 5eeds in Park City and the Garden Room at the Grand America in Salt Lake. Although eating out is always fun and delicious, all of us can cook fairly well, so we would take turns hosting.
One time our breakfast got postponed because a huge snow storm blew in just in time for all of us to be in the car driving. We played it safe, and decided to wait a week. The food looked so yummy at that breakfast, but I didn’t eat any of it! I had just started a healthy eating challenge that day, so I felt like I couldn’t partake. In hindsight, ALWAYS eat the food with friends.
There was one time where I hosted brunch and I settled on serving huge giant cinnamon rolls. I for one love a good cinnamon roll, but often feel sick eating them first thing in the morning because they are too sweet. Since I didn’t want to feel sick, I knew I needed something else a little more savory and hearty. After some research, I landed on a recipe for a crustless quiche and knew I had to try it.
This crustless caprese quiche was the hit of the brunch. I kid you not! I love that is so light and doesn’t feel too indulging since there isn’t a buttery pie crust. The flavors of mozzarella, tomato, and basil are always so refreshing. I even love to drizzle a little balsamic glaze on top because it takes it to another level.
If you are looking a for a keto friendly breakfast or gluten free breakfast, this is the recipe for you! It’s packed full or protein and flavor and will be delicious no matter what your diet is.
F.A.Q.s and Troubleshooting
Additional Recipes Similar to this Quiche
Crustless Caprese Quiche
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, diced
- 4 eggs
- 2 egg whites, or ¼ cup liquid egg whites
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup basil, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp cracked black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Grease a 8 or 9 inch pie pan and set aside.
- In a small frying pan, cook the diced onions in the oil until they are soft and translucent. Set aside to cool.
- Slice one tomato into thin circular slices and set aside.
- Dice the other tomato into small pieces removing as many seeds as you can. Set aside.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together eggs, egg white, milk, half of the mozzarella, basil, salt, pepper, onions and diced tomatoes.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pie pan. Sprinkle the remaining mozzarella on top and place the tomato slices gently on top.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until the quiche is cooked through and no longer jiggly. Serve warm.