Loaded Avocado Toast
This Loaded Avocado Toast is the only toast recipe you’ll ever need. It’s loaded with avocado, roasted tomatoes, fresh orange slices, and more.
Story Behind Loaded Avocado Toast
When my husband was in business school, I met some of the most wonderful people. I became really close with four women in particular, and we still stay in touch today. Every year (sometimes twice), we plan a girls trip. Since we still all have really young children, these trips usually are quick, local, and filled with yummy food.
One particular trip, we stayed at the Grand America hotel in Salt Lake City. It wound up being a weird weekend when we realized that it was the same weekend as Fan X during Comic Con. I’m not even sure if that is the correct way to even say the event.
As we sat on the couch in the hotel lobby that night, we had the privilege of meeting several celebrities. I’m sure we looked out of place. We were sitting on the lobby couch in pajamas. One of my friends had a 5-week-old baby that caught everyone’s attention. The next morning we walked down to the dining room in hopes for a great meal and more celebrity watching. We stuffed ourselves with a delicious breakfast. Funny enough, the actor who played Flash Gordon took a liking to us during breakfast. So much so, that he gifted us tickets to Comic Con to come watch his question and answer session.
Our Comic Con experience was bizarre, and we still talk about it today. Besides meeting celebrities from various shows and movies, we had the BEST loaded avocado toast that morning in the hotel.
It was so delicious that for a few months after, all of my girlfriends and I took turns recreating it at home and sending each other pictures of it. It is hands down one of my favorite savory breakfasts and makes an appearance whenever we get together.
Don’t be fooled by the tomatoes and orange together. I promise it works! This is a great dish to serve at any brunch or breakfast you are throwing and will be sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Ingredients Needed for Loaded Avocado French Toast
- Bread- you want to use a good, light and airy bread. Don’t use sandwich bread or super dense bread.
- Oranges- we love to use Cara Cara oranges, but navel oranges work well too.
- Tomatoes- go for the good ole garden tomato. You don’t want to use a roma or cherry tomatoes here.
- Pumpkin Seeds- you may think you you can leave these off, but it adds such a great crunch. Definitely look for them in your grocery store or order some from here.
- Parmigiano Romano Cheese- this can be pre-grated or shredded. Whichever one you prefer or find first will work.
Additional Recipes You Will Also Love
Favorite Kitchen Tools
- Toast Tongs – to handle that hot toast
- Meat and Potato Masher– but it does a dang good job mashing up avocado as well.
- Tomato Slicing Knife– you didn’t know you needed one, but know you do!
Loaded Avocado Toast
- 2 tomatoes
- 2 avocados
- 2 navel oranges
- ¼ cup pepitas
- ¼ shredded parmesean reggiano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Set oven to broil.
- Slice tomatoes into 1/2 inch slices and semi-circles. Place them on a piece of foil and stick in the oven for 5-7 minutes until roasted and a little black starts to form. Check them occasionally, so they don't burn.
- While the tomatoes roast, slice the oranges into thin slices and smash the avocados.
- Toast the bread to your liking, and then assemble by placing smashed avocado, sliced tomatoes and oranges, and then sprinkling pepitas and cheese on top.
- Recipe makes 3-4 slices of toast depending on bread size.