Coco Lopez Cake
Back when I was a teenager, my Young Women’s youth group at church did a fundraiser for to help us pay for going to girl’s camp. In the past, we did spaghetti dinners with a service auction, but one particular year, we gathered recipes from women in our congregation, made a cookbook, and then sold them. My mom came across one about a year ago, and brought it out for me to keep!
It has been so fun to look through all of the recipes and reminisce about the good ol’ days. I remember all of the older ladies and the popular covered-dish dinner dishes that always made an appearance.
As I was looking through it lately though, I had one recipe jump out to me that I had never seen before. It was submitted by one of my Young Women leaders who I just adored. She was such a great example to me and made a huge impact in my life.
This cake is similar to a Tres Leches cake in texture, but the flavor is coconut! Its a moist white cake, with coconut cream poured over the top,then topped with a mound of whipped cream. This cake is easy to make, and is perfect for a summer time treat as you eat it cool.
This will become a new favorite in the dessert for guests rotation. I made this for my brother (who is a huge coconut fan) and his family and it was gone in less than 5 minutes.
Coco Lopez Cake
For the Cake
- 1 box white cake mix
- 4 egg whites
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- ⅔ cup sour cream, or sub plain greek yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- ¾ cup buttermilk
For the Topping
- 1 can Coco Lopez cream of coconut
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Grease a 9×13 pan and set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine all the cake ingredients and mix for 2 minutes.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Once the cake is done, poke the entire cake with a fork. Shake the can of Coco Lopez, so it's all combined. Pour on the cake and place in the fridge.
- Once the cake is cooled, whip the cream and powder sure together until soft and creamy peaks form.
- Frost the cake with the whipped cream and keep cold until serving.