These Seven Layer Magic Bars are so delicious with their layers of buttery graham cracker crust, chocolate chips, butterscotch, coconut, nuts, and sweetened condensed milk. They will quickly become a family favorite.
Story Behind Seven Layer Magic Bars
I actually grew up calling these seven layer bars. I realized when I went off to college that no one knew what seven layer bars were and a majority of people actually call them magic bars. Both names are great, so we’re going with it. Honestly, whatever you decide to call these they will for sure be delicious.
I remember making these during the Christmas season with my mom. When my oldest kids were super tiny, I always had them help make these. It’s such a quick and easy recipe to throw together that it’s perfect for little kids to help with.
They are called seven layer bars because (gasp) they have seven layers! You start with a buttery graham cracker crust, chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut, pecans, and sweetened condensed milk. Most likely, these are ingredients you already have on hand.
In fact, if you don’t like one of the layers, you can omit it. However, I’m not a fan of coconut and love it in this recipe. My kids are a fan of nuts, but they love these as well. My mom, for example, doesn’t care for butterscotch chips, so she uses peanut butter chips instead. I’m pretty sure you could throw white chocolate chips or cinnamon chips in there as well and they would be amazing.
- Graham Crackers – You can use whole graham crackers and put them in the food processor, or buy the box of crumbs. If you want another element of flavor, try using cinnamon graham crackers.
- Butter – I always use salted.
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips – You can sub for dark or milk if that it what you prefer.
- Butterscotch Chips – I have found that the store brand of butterscotch chips are terrible. Please use a good name brand like these.
- Shredded Sweetened Coconut
- Nuts – I prefer to use pecans or walnuts.
- Sweetened Condensed Milk
Additional Recipes You Will Enjoy
- Classic Peanut Butter Bars
- Pumpkin Butterscotch Cake
- Copycat Biscoff Lava Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
- Perfect Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
Seven Layer Magic Bars
- 1½ cups graham cracker crumbs
- ½ cup melted butter
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- ¾ cup shredded sweetened coconut
- ¾ cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 350℉. Line an 8×8 pan with parchment or grease well.
- If you are using whole graham crackers, pulse in a food processor until they are a fine crumb. Pour them into the prepared pan.
- Pour the melted butter on top of the crumbs and stir until well combined. I prefer to do it this way so I don't have to dirty another dish, but you can definitely use a separate bowl if you prefer that. Press the well-combined buttery graham crackers into the bottom of the pan.
- Pour half of the can of sweetened condensed milk on top of the crumbs. Save the rest for the top.
- Place the semi-sweet chips, butterscotch chips, coconut, and pecans in the pan. Top with the remaining sweetened condensed milk.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes. Cool completely before serving.