Easy Pineapple Cheese Ball
This easy pineapple cheese ball is a crowd pleaser and an absolute must for any holiday party or cheese board.
The Story Behind the Pineapple Cheese Ball
This Easy Pineapple Cheese Ball recipe comes from my hometown of Danville, Virginia. There’s not much there and I’m always super impressed if someone has actually been there when I tell them where I’m from.
Danville is the type of town where you can go to Wal-Mart and always see someone you know. In fact, sometimes when I go back to visit, my mom and I will play the game, “let’s stay until we talk to someone we know.” Even after I have been gone for quite some time, I still will see someone I know, or someone who knows our family.
Since I grew up in such a small town, that means that my church congregation was also fairly small. Everyone knew everybody, and we were all quite good friends.
I remember when one of the families we were close with, the Bagleys. They had six sons and several of them were best friends with my brothers, so we so they a lot. When one of the older sons got engaged, I remember being at the wedding reception and thinking how beautiful his wife is. She still is to this day!
One thing that she introduced out congregation to was her delicious Pineapple Cheese Ball. I had never had anything as tasty as it. I’m pretty sure she brought it to a covered dish dinner and that was all I ate.
I think of this pineapple cheese ball quite frequently, but have actually never made it. I pulled out my Danville Cookbook that I have, and found the recipe. However, it wasn’t much of a recipe, but merely a list of ingredients. So, I called my mom to ask if she had every made it. She said she had not made it in years, but to call my sister because she makes several every year.
After speaking with my sister for thirty minutes, I got all the tips and tricks that I would ever need, and now I will pass them along to you. My sister said this is one of her families Christmas staples. In fact, she say that her family will go through an entire pineapple cheese ball in one sitting. It’s really that tasty and will be a great addition to any cheeseboard or to your list of party appetizers.
F.A.Q.s and Troubleshooting for Pineapple Cheese Ball
If you love this recipe and are looking for other similar recipes, make sure to check out these other recipes of mine.
Pineapple Cheese Ball
- 16 oz cream cheese
- ⅓ cup crushed pineapple, drained
- ¼ cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 tbsp finely diced yellow onion
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- chopped pecans for rolling
- Drain the pineapple well. You should not be able to squeeze any extra fluid out of it. This step is key in making sure you have an actual cheese ball and not soup.
- Dice the pepper and onion finely. You don't want it minced and water, just small pieces. Try to avoid any onion or pepper juice from getting into your mixture.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, warm the two 8 oz. blocks of cream cheese in the microwave for 1 ½ minutes. It should be soft enough to stir.
- Add in the salt, onion, pepper, and crushed pineapple. Stir together until evenly combined.
- Place plastic wrap in a rounded bowl, such as a salsa bowl, and scoop the cream cheese mixture into it. Wrap it up and keep it in the bowl.
- Place the bowl in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Once chilled, remove it from the plastic wrap and roll into chopped pecans.
- Serve chilled with your favorite crackers.