These Better Than Sex Cupcakes are a decadent chocolate cake soaked in a caramel sauce, topped in fresh whipped cream, and sprinkled with crunchy Heath bits.
The Story behind the Better Than Sex Cupcakes
A few years back, my husband’s work did a bakeoff contest. Spouses were able to participate, so I was all over that. I agonized for weeks about what I was going to make and finally decided on a coconut cake with a pineapple curd. I decorated it with buttercream, and even made little buttercream pineapples to put on top. They were pretty darn cute.
Then I heard through the grapevine that one of the judges was going to be a Cupcake Wars Winner. I was pretty excited knowing that I was going to get to meet this secret person. I assumed it was Megan Brown, owner of The Sweet Tooth Fairy here in Utah, but it wasn’t. The judge was Alisha, and she was the owner of CravingsAlishasCupcakes. She was so fun, and gifted everyone free cupcakes from her shop.
A month or so later, I drove down to her darling cupcake shop in Pleasant Grove to get my free cupcakes. I don’t remember all the flavors I got, but I do remember getting her Cupcake Wars winning cupcake; Better Than What. You may know this cupcake as BTS cake or Better than Sex cake. Whatever you call it, it is incredibly delicious!
One day, instead of making the hour roundtrip to buy her cupcakes, I decided to just try and make them. Wow, did I hit the nail on the head the first time. I’ve since made them several times, and they are always a hit!
It’s a chocolate cake drenched in caramel sauce, covered in whipped cream, and sprinkled with Heath bits. You seriously can’t go wrong with this one. I like to make these in a Texas sized cupcake pan fitted with parchment paper, or in a normal sized cupcake pan fitted with tall liners, like these. This way you get a large cupcake that’s best eaten with a fork.
F.A.Q.s for Better Than Sex Cupcakes
Similar Recipes to Better Than Sex Cupcakes
If you are looking for other cake recipes make sure to check out these other delicious recipes of mine.
Better Than Sex Cupcakes
- 1 box Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix
- 3 eggs
- 1 egg white
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- ⅔ cup sour cream, or greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup mild tasting oil
- ½ cocoa powder
- ¼ all-purpose flour
For the Caramel Sauce
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 small jar (14 oz.) of caramel sauce I prefer Hershey’s
For the Topping
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tsp unflavored gelatin
- 1 TBS cold water
- milk chocolate Heath bits
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix and all wet ingredients. Combine with a hand mixer.
- Add in all the remaining dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- In a cupcake pan fitted with tall cupcake liners, scoop a heaping 1/4 cup of batter.
- Bake for 18-23 minutes until cooked and cake bounces back.
- While the cupcakes are baking, combine sweetened condensed milk and caramel in a small mixing bowl. Once combined, place sauce in a squirt bottle for easy distribution. If you don’t have a squirt bottle, this can be done with a spoon. It just may be a little bit messy.
- Once the cupcakes come out, take the end of a wooden chopstick, or wooden spoon handle, and poke the middle and move it around a bit to make a hole.
- Once a hole is formed, take your squirt bottle filled with the caramel sauce and squeeze a generous amount into the cupcake. Let cupcakes cool completely.
- In a small bowl, combine cold water with gelatin. Mix with a spoon until combined. Let set for 5 minutes, until congealed.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, combine whipping cream and powdered sugar. Mix until it starts to get thick.
- Microwave the gelatin mixture for 5 seconds, or until it turns liquid again. Then add in the gelatin mixture and whip until stiff peaks form.
- Put the whipped cream into a piping bag and pipe on top of cooled cupcakes.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of Heath bits on top and then drizzle some remaining caramel sauce on top for the full effect.